Jersey (West), 2010

It was just past noon and we were deciding what to order at Oyster Box. Both of us were going for half a dozen oysters each, but what to get for mains? The crab looked tempting.

B: Should we have on crab or two?
Me: One. We shouldn't overeat. This is our sixth meal of the day.

She burst out laughing at that. This made me think that I had perhaps exaggerated. In fact, it was the truth: we'd had our fifth breakfast before 10am.

Five breakfasts

The day had begun at 2am. I boiled us some eggs - Breakfast #1 - and made coffee, which we consumed hurriedly in order to catch the bus and train so we could reach Gatwick at four, clear security and have a proper sit-down breakfast, plus time to shop. When we arrived we were told that we could only check in our bags at 5am. B wasn't pleased. We found a place to sit while waiting, and got some food from M&S - Breakfast #2. After passing through security, there was still time to spare. This was a chance to fulfil B's original plan. We had our third breakfast, a crayfish noodle salad, at EAT. On the plane, they served us another sandwich, Breakfast #4.

After checking in at 8am to L'Horizon Hotel and finding our room satisfactory, B came up with another plan. She asked the concierge whether - as we would be checking out before breakfast - we could move our final day's breakfast forward to the present instead. Thus after a walk by the beach, we had our fifth and finally proper breakfast of the day. It didn't disappoint.

Crabs and fingers

I managed to sneak a nap before lunch at Oyster Box. With the sun out the beach at St Brelade's Bay had taken on a different character. In the morning, it had been quiet: a dog that never tired of fetching the frisbee, deck chair hirers setting up shop, a few brave souls going for a dip in the freezing water. Now the beach was alive with families out in force. We watched the crowds from the restaurant as we enjoyed our oysters and crab.

Me: Children love pushing things around.

Nearly every kid I saw was pushing something around at some point, but one little boy was especially active. First he was pushing a cart in circles. Then he took a mini surfboard and pushed that around. When he got tired of pushing things, he went around stomping on sandcastles. When there were no sandcastles left to destroy, he chased a seagull round and round until it finally got bored of the game and decided to fly away.

Of the two types of oysters we tried, the Royal Bay Noisettes of Jersey were the more tasty - there was a distinct sweetness. The other, the Special No. 3, was more subtle, with the flavour coming to you gradually towards the end. We ate the crabs using our hands, cracking the shell and cleaning out the meat with the tools, and sucking on our fingers. People at nearby tables threw surreptitious glances our way with their best poker faces on.

Corbiere sunset

To work off the high-calorie lunch, we decided to walk to the western coast of Jersey at La Sargente, passing Beauport Bay en route. At Beauport Bay, I tried a bit of amateur rock-climbing. The rock wasn't very high and I didn't get to the top but at some point during the climb I found myself in a place between fear and excitement. This is definitely a sport I could pick up.

Our intention was to get to La Sargente for sunset but we got there too early. At the top, I found a nice spot of rock to sit in and lean against that offered a great view of the Corbiere lighthouse. I made B sit with me, subjecting her to two hours of constant windchill until she finally could take it no longer and went to explore the area, where a sign proclaimed it the 'La Sargente Tombe'. I later found out that this was the site of the oldest dolmen - or passage grave - on Jersey, which dates to between 4,500BC and 4,000BC.

Share this story:
Subscribe in Feedly
comments powered by Disqus